Friends

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Farewell to my Grandpa!

Hello Everyone!  Some of you may have saw the picture I posted last night about my Grandpa passing away early Sunday morning.  I've posted it below.  It is an older picture of us two, but one of my favorites.  He was a wonderful man.  I still remember being very little and he would pop out his dentures.  I was beyond confused and it freaked me out, but now I look back and laugh at his silliness. 

I know my Dad is taking it hard losing his father.  We have been very fortunate in my family to not have very much death, and this is the first grandparent on my side to pass.  Unfortunately, my Grandma (his wife, my Dad's mom), is very sick too.  I try to see the beauty in that they will meet and be together again very soon.  It's never easy to lose a loved one, but I know that he is in a better place and looking upon us from above.


I was able to see him a week prior to his passing.  My Dad had warned me that he probably wouldn't recognize me.  As soon as I walked in, his face lit up.  I, on the other hand, started bawling.  I asked him how he was feeling, although it was apparent, and he said, "To tell you the truth, absolute horse shit."  Even in pain and suffering, he could still make me laugh.  He was in and out of it because of the morphine, but he actually said my name at one point, telling me how happy he was to see me.  I will always cherish those last moments with him.

At one point, he did ask Mr. CC if he smoked.  When he said no, my Grandpa said, "Oh, that's a shame."  At the time, we weren't sure what he meant.  Later, I was talking to my Mom and she said he was probably looking for a cigarette!  That little stinker!  He unfortunately smoked almost his whole life.  We're lucky to not have lost him sooner.  

The incredible support from everyone brings me to tears.  I cannot express how much your kindness means to me.  I'm constantly amazed to be apart of such a caring group and cherish all your condolences, thoughts, and prayers.  Thank you.  Also, thank you for letting me share this with you.  Tomorrow we will remember him and Thursday we will say goodbye.

9 comments:

  1. I am so incredibly sorry to hear of your loss. This post really made me realize how thankful I am to still have my grandparents and to cherish every little moment with them. May your beautiful memories of him ease the pain of your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for your loss, but I admire your positive thoughts toward his passing. May he rest in peace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My condolences to you, Crystal and your family! Indeed he is now in a better place! From what you have shared here, I can tell he's truly a wonderful person and how blessed you all are having each other as family! :') ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. He sounds like he as a wonderful man. The death of a loved one is never easy. My condolences to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crystal, I am so sorry for your loss. Sounds like your grandpa was a lovely man. .... you are so lucky to have had him in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so fortunate to have had him in your life and to have had the chance to say your goodbyes. I lost my father a couple of years ago and my mother and I had plenty of time to prepare ourselves and spend time with him and I wouldn't trade that time for the world. It is also amazing what a comfort it is to know that they are no longer suffering and are in a better place. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete